Saturday, March 13, 2010

Old Fashioned Bourbon Cocktail

My second favorite cocktail is the Old Fashioned. It would be my first favorite, except that they're kind of a pain to make. There is some speculation that the Old Fashioned is the original cocktail -- the cocktail the early colonists drank after a hard day of whatever it was they did to piss off practically everyone on college campuses today. I love cocktails that have a backstory like this; it almost makes it seem like you are communing with history; not just knocking back a shot of whisky with some sweet stuff to help it on its way.

So this is my Old Fashioned recipe. It's probably a bit pared down from the normal recipes. I like what I like, and I don't like to wait (c.f. my Manhattan recipe where you dump it all in a glass and stir it with your finger).

Cocktail Zero's Old Fashioned

  • In a pretty glass, throw in a sugar cube and douse it with Angostura Bitters. Then throw in an orange slice. Throw in a maraschino cherry if you're making it for a woman; women love the cherries.

  • Smash it all up with a muddler or a big spoon or something.

  • Put in some ice cubes. Cover the ice cubes with bourbon.

  • Stir it all up; add a little still water to taste.

  • Do not add soda water; I think it makes the drink taste awful.


It's amazing how the sugar and the bitters take all the edge off the bourbon. I can drink 2 or 3 of these and it doesn't feel like you are drinking until you notice your brain feels like someone switched off the back half.

1 comment:

  1. I use simple or bar syrup instead of the cube..really works well.

    ReplyDelete